Thursday 9 February 2012

Task 1B

After having read the reader 1 numerous times, I thought it was time I wrote down some of my thoughts and ideas on it to share and discuss with people. I’d never heard of the word ‘web 2.0’ before and I realized its something I virtually use everyday! I have a facebook account and often use wikipedea as a search engine and you tube to post and watch videos, all of them been great demonstrators of web 2.0
            After discovering there is so much more usage I could get out of web 2.0 I started to think how I could use it to my advantage in a professional sense. First of all I took facebook as it is a site that I visit daily, but that I feel I was not using to its full potentially. I had a facebook account very private so that I could communicate and share things with my friends. But then I thought the things I am sharing I could just do this in person with them anyway, as the only people I would want to see that information I would see on a daily basis. So I took a different approach and started a new ‘professional’ facebook account only displaying things I would want anyone and everyone to see. Using it more to network my professional self than to use as a social life!
            I also decided to do this as I have been looking at the pros and cons of web 2.0 there is a simple slideshow that if found below just looking at some of the web 2.0 sites and the pros and cons of using them.




The pros and cons of web 2.0 is something I felt should be discussed, as I am still slightly sceptical with sharing information I know anyone could have access to, which is something I am slowly coming to terms with having read the reader I feel that used in the right way it could be a great advantage to my career.

Looking at the two sides of it is something that I have wanted to discuss after hearing about the new campaign that the bbc and radio one have started. ‘The share take care campaign’ supporting safer internet usage. A quote from the controller of the bbc can be seen below;

‘The BBC’s share take care campaign is about giving everybody the skills and knowledge to make their online activity safer and protect their reputation on the web’

Saul Nasse Controller of BBC Learning
                                                         
This is something the bbc have started after they produced a recent survey with the results seen below;

‘Forty two per cent of teenagers questioned in a new BBC survey said they or someone they knew had shared something online which they later regretted. The specially commissioned survey of 13-19 year olds for BBC radio one and BBC radio five live also suggests that nearly a third of the young people who had over – shared online believed that it had damaged their reputation .Of those who claimed to be badly affected by the experience themselves,58% said they fell out with friends and 26% said it had made them anxious and depressed.’
It just goes to show how web 2.0 is such a phenomenon now and how it has its great advantages but also used in the wrong way can have disastrous outcomes affecting peoples lives and careers.

            However having said that I feel that web 2.0 is something that I need to embrace and use to my advantage in the coming weeks, as I feel now it is not just about ‘the people you know’ in this profession. But the people you can network with and widen your range of communication. I think that web 2.0 used in a safe and sensible way can be great tool, as long as you think with the mentality of ‘am I happy with anyone viewing what I have posted’ if not don’t post it!
            So watch this space for more use of web 2.0 J

                                   

Quotes and information found on the bbc media centre website.

No comments:

Post a Comment