Tuesday 16 October 2012

Interesting Article.


An interesting article that I found is posted in my SIG group


Or find the link at the bottom of this blog, i found it a particularly interesting read as I began to think about my task 4A and more questions that I could take from this.
 
How beneficial is dance not only to our physical but also our mental state, in the recreational and the professional sense?
 
I added the recreational and professional to that question as recently with my I.S.T.D DDI training I have been looking at the health and safety module a part in that we discussed the physical and mental health of professional dancers some interesting research points are listed below;
 
  • 80% of dance professionals and 80% of vocational dance students reported at least one injury in the previous year of dancing.
  • 17% of professional ballet dancers, 13% of professional contemporary dancers and 10% of vocational dance students overuse drugs and alcohol.
  • 9% of professional ballet dancers, 5% of professional contemporary dancers and 19% of vocational dance students have eating problems.
  • 43% of professional ballet dancers, 32% of professional contemporary dancers and 42% of vocational dance students suffer from depression.
                                                                                                                             Laws,H,(2005)
I find this question particularly interesting and one I personally would want to research more as I feel there are lots and varying lines of inquiry I could take on this.

Your opinions or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks steph.

Reference: Laws,H,(2005) Fit to dance 2, Report of the second national inquiry into dancers’ heath and injury in the uk, Dance UK, ISBN: 0951563181
 
The article

1 comment:

  1. I have been following your posts Steph and they are really interesting. I had some comments to make:

    In terms of the award title, I do think 'Dance' on its own would benefit you most. If you seek to include 'education' you will be required to demonstrate the breadth of education knowledge you have.

    In terms of your questions, I think they are very broad. For example, you suggest ...

    in todays society today should a dance class be geared more towards education and exams or fun based as a hobby?

    How could you get to an answer? For whom is 'should' addressed? Perhaps different people would give different priorities? or do you think there is some 'natural law', and underlying 'truth' about what SHOULD happen?

    Perhaps if the question was directed to a specific group, that might help to focus the question? And perhaps if the question did not imply that there was an underlying truth or 'best' response?

    So ...

    What value to parents attrribute to dance in terms of benefits to their children.

    Now that is a question that could be answered, especially if we refined it to a specific location ...


    What value to parents of KS2 children in Brighton attrribute to dance in terms of benefits to their children.

    now you can locate the 'types' of parents (socio-economic; political) with specific age range. If you then said 'boys' the focus would be tighter, and you could then dig deeper.

    See that the making and shaping of questions is crucial in defining your issues and interests.

    ReplyDelete