Sunday 18 March 2012

Task 2D Inquiry


I enjoyed answering these questions as it was a moment to actually stop and think about all the different aspects of my passion and career and where I can go with it, your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

 What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about?

Something that I find I am very enthusiastic about learning more about at the moment. Is the business world of teaching, as that is the path I feel im on at the moment so I want to learn as much about it as I can. It’s a different side of the arts world to me as iv never thought about it in the business sense before just the performing side. Im interested in learning the planning of what goes into running a dance school and the different aspects of it, classes, prices, shows, comps ect I feel like there’s so much to learn, but something that I am willing to spend time learning. Have you always looked at yourself as a business and your profession or does it depend of the job you are doing within your profession? Again I feel this relates to MEPLC (see previous blog) where no matter what we are doing we should be looking at ourselves as a business.
            A person who made the transition from performer to school owner who I admire is my old dance teacher, Rachel Catherall.
http://www.elsberdance.co.uk/
She performed for a number of years on cruise ships and uk tours and then came back to take over her mums dance school and turn it around, tripling its number of students and also introduction new styles of dance such as street and Irish.

 What gets you angry or makes you sad?

Something that gets me angry is the generalized statement ‘that all dancers are thick’ people in other professions don’t get grouped like that but it seems a common thing within the dance profession. I am bringing this up as it actually happened to me last week, I was out with my boyfriend and we met with some friends, one of them started to have a conversation with us about history and politics. He then stopped mid sentenced and apologized to me as he felt I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the conversation because im a dancer! I soon shut him up when it actually turned out I new more about the history of politics than most of the people there (As I did it for A level) just goes to show don’t judge a book by its cover! I just find it condescending that people can just assume because of your job description you are limited to only know about that one thing.With this one I did not find a specific person that agrees with me though I am sure there are a lot of you out there that have had similar experiences or views?
However I did find a good statement on a poll on yahoo;
Howard Gardners Multiple Intelligences Theory ("MI Theory") like me then yes. according to this, their are seven types of intelligence(1. Linguistic, 2. Logical-Mathematical, 3. Bodily-Kinesthetic, 4. Spatial, 5.Musical, 6. Interpersonal, 7. Intrapersonal).
Bodily-Kinesthetic include people who process knowledge through bodily sensations or body movements. They are often athletic, dancers or good at crafts such as sewing or woodworking
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080726103849AAH13t8

What do you love about what you do?

Within my practice I love the large amount of different jobs and styles you can have under one umbrella, ‘dance’ I love that with that one word it can mean so many different things. I find it really interesting that my focus is on one specific topic but that it can open up so many different paths to me and that I can learn so many different things within it. Within this profession I feel like a sponge and want to soak up as many different, styles, performances and teaching methods possible!
            An example of a person doing this is Natalie Constanti she teaches a number of classes at sunshine studios Manchester. She started off as a performer than branched out into the world of teaching dance and from there has gone onto zumba and Taekwondo.Just going to show how much dance can link to other things.
https://www.zumba.com/en-US/profiles/79754/natalie-constanti/
            I am interested in looking at dance in a variety of ways to see what new things I can do with it, where has the theme of ‘dance’ taken you?

What do you feel you don’t understand?
 
At the moment I feel chorography on a large scale is something that I don’t understand fully at the moment as its not something I have ever had to do. I enjoy putting together dances for classes or small school shows but looking on chorography of a full production show is not something I have ever come across doing before. I feel like it’s a lot more than just putting afew dance steps together that look nice. You need to think about positioning, lighting, diversity, entrances and exits, aswell as not just thinking about the dancers but all the other performers aswell. A person I admire who I met recently is Tracey Iliffe a chorographer I have just worked with on the u.k tour that I am doing. She completely revamped the show that we are doing and the thought process that went into it just seemed so much more than chorographing. How have you found chorographing?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tracey-Iliffe-Choreographer/116762805074571

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,

    If it is any consolation, as a non-dancer (seriously, I’m really not a dancer by any stretch of the imagination!) I have found dancers to be very reflective people. I think it something to do with the act of reflecting ‘in action’ as each move or phrase is considered for it effect, whether it meets the choreographic intent of the piece, or a more self-regulated questioning about what worked and what needs to be improved.

    I do think dance encourages particular perspectives on dance practice. There are common perspectives that come up a lot from dancers on BAPP, particularly around notions of ‘perfection’ and ‘the right way to do things’. This I believe makes perfect sense in terms of dance practice, but I also think it is a hopeless way of thinking about our wider professional practice, where we need to accept much more complexity and provisional explanations that can’t be necessarily ‘proved’ as ‘right’ or ‘perfect’.

    As you move to ask deeper questions about your practice, try and avoid questions that seek to get at a perfect answer. Try and get at insights that might suggest possible solutions, ideas that ‘might have’ some utility for you. Be humble, tentative and circumspect. Avoid ‘what makes the perfect dancer’ or ‘what is better, ISTD or RAD’ type questions, they can’t really be answered easily or with certainty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also to add to your comment on dancers bring "thick" I think the training we undertake compliments many other things than dance in our lives. My sister got injured half way through her training and isn't able to dance full time, she is now very high up with in Aviva. She always says if she had not gone through the training she did she would not have the confidence she has. She knows the right ways to approach people, enter a room, etc. Little things like this can make a very big difference.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete