Wednesday 14 November 2012

Task 6A.


MY PILOT INTERVIEW
For my pilot interview I intend to interview teachers with a similar teaching class to me to see what there opinions are on the age groups the style and the structure of the classes.

Before starting the interview I would give them a small document stating who I am, why the interview is taking place, and a place at the bottom for us both to sign to state it will be truthful and only used for the research stated above.
Here is an example of this;
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yc5gkHoU8qqUgBFR4Yg6wK-fNnqxbQlr8STEUszIBo4/edit

I would like my interview to take place face to face, as I feel I would get more truthful answers with them not having chance to preplan and also by looking at there body language when answering the question.
As bell stated;

‘The interview is a qualitative method where you collect what people say (from your sample) and use it as evidence. Its advantage is that you “can follow up on ideas, probe responses and investigate motives and feelings” (Bell, 2005, p.157).’

I would like to list some brief questions I would plan around during my interview, more to have as an outline than an actual structure because talking to another human with different opinions topics can change and develop and go on a path you would not have though about so I would not like to have to many structural restrains;
Listed below is a few questions I would ask;

  • What are the different age ranges that you teach?
  • What are the learning differences you notice between each age group?
  • How do you change and adapt your teaching to suit the age group?
  • What level do you find more challenging to teach?
  • Do you feel qualifications are beneficial to making you a better teacher?
  • Do you feel you need qualifications to be a dance teacher at all?
With this interview I hope to first and foremost learn how to take an interview as that is something I have never done before face to face so I feel I shall learn something about myself from this, and also begin to learn more about the path my inquiry is beginning to take.

MY PILOT SURVEY

I have created just a general teachers survey with the link below just so that I can understand the work that goes into a survey.


 MY FOCUS GROUP

The focus group I will be using I feel is the SIG group I have set up


Here I have already began discussions on my chosen topic I intend to further this by adding more discussions and also a few polls, so please feel free to join and get involved.

MY OBSERVATION

I plan to carry out an observation at the school I currently teach at as there are a number of classes going on other than my own. For the past six weeks I have actually been doing teacher observations as part of my i.s.t.d teacher training, templates of these observations can be found on the i.s.t.d website;


So I feel I fully understand the structure of observing a teacher, so for me to learn a new skill I would like to observe a class but fully focus on the students and how they act during a class. For this I would need to make sure I have consent from the teacher whos class it is but also the students parents as it is the children that I will be observing.

In the link below I have made myself a table to fill out during my observation.


 

I hope you will take some time to complete my survey and give me any comments for improvement to the rest of my research methods.

 Steph.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,

    I can see you really have got to grips with the various tasks, well done. I did have a little trouble with the Survey Monkey functionality. The Survey Monkey 1-6 questions drop down list did not work for me, it kept putting the numbers in for me.

    Also, I was putting together a comment to you about 'truth' but it ended up being so long I decided to post it as a Blog entry. It's on the concept of 'truth', and I posted it because I was unsure how you conceptualised this .. a term you use in your Blog. I'd be really interested to get a comment from you on this, to my Blog, or for you to post on it so you establish clearly how you relate to the idea of truth within professional enquiry.

    really good work Steph, I look forward to your thoughts if you want to post on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your comment alan and also your blog post i feel it has really opened my eyes onto what 'truth' actually means withing this inquiry and research and know having read your blog i feel it was a word i was maybe throwing around carelessly without thinking about the context behind the word. After reading your blog i have know realised that i will never be able to fully obtain a 'truthful' answer withing my research, as it is a matter of opinion and something that could have many aspects and paths of research with many different view points so within it there will never be a right or wrong answer, just information that can carry on and further develope in the future.
    With this new look and from your blog i know intend to look at further developing my inquiry question again of

    How beneficial is dance class to children between the ages of two and five for physical and mental well being?

    because i still feel that with this question i am stating that there is an undelying truth that dance is benifical to children, when at the moment before i carry out the research i do not know if this statement is factually correct, so i feel i need alter it slightly maybe to just;
    is dance class benifical to to children between the ages of two and five for physical and mental well being?
    i feel that may have taken away the underlying truth as you have stated in my previous blog comments?
    i also feel however i may need to still make the question more tighter as you stated in your blog 'to block out the noise' so that my research will be directed in a more focused area?

    hope i am sort of on the right path? let me know your thoguhts.

    ReplyDelete