Tuesday 27 November 2012

Literature review 1


The first piece of literature I shall be reviewing was an article wrote by Tinnies a childcare company, on the benefits of dance for young children, the link to the article is below;


When I began to read this article I found it would be particularly useful to me as it was written by someone with a similar background to me who has also found my route of enquiry of interest as well. This is Mandy Fouracre has been teaching dance for 30 years.
A quote that stuck out to me was;

‘Dance is a universal language’

I found this a particularly good quote because I feel it states that dance can be accessed by anyone and everyone, and tapping into it can be beneficial for all.

 The article also mentions some guidelines that Mandy feels are correct for when a child to start dance I have noted these guidelines below;

 · An enjoyment of music and movement

·        Confidence to attend a class without a parent or prime carer in attendance

·        Familiarisation with a more formal group structure - is the child already attending nursery or playschool for instance

·        Awareness of the need to listen and cooperate in a group learning situation
       

I would like to keep a particular note of this for when I start my inquiry to see if I or people I research into agree with these guidelines.
 
The article then moves on to state what she feels are the benfits of dance to young children from the physical, creative, personal and social development. I found this interesting as I liked the way it was broke down into grouped sections, some of the points I feel I may not agree with because I feel the children would be to young to show development of some of them skills, so again I would like to keep note of this article for when I do my research and observations to see if I see these skills or disagree with the statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment